Python is one of the most preferred language of data scientists (according to kdnuggets). Before we dive deeper with machine learning and visualization packages lets explore the basics of relational database management using Python.
So there are few packages using which we can execute sql queries from python program. I guess the most widely used packages are MySQLdb and PyMySQL. The difference is in the implementation where MySQLdb is a C extension and PyMySQL is pure Python. However is terms of functionality both are almost same. However if you are on Mac then you might like to prefer PyMySQL as the MySQLdb might give some compiler issues.
So if you are not familiar with python syntax but have experience with some other programming language then you might like to try few problems here. Perhaps that is the best way to learn python.
- First we need to import corresponding python library
- Then define database connection string with appropriate parameters
- Connect to database using connection string and related library function
- Define a database connection variable (cursor)
- Use this connection variable to execute sql queries.
- Get results in some variable and print it
- Close the connection
# Import the package import pymysql # Create database connection conn = pymysql.connect(host='127.0.0.1', user='akshay', passwd='password', db='myblogs') # Create cursor (connection variable cur = conn.cursor() # Execute query cur.execute("SELECT * FROM datavu") # Get results in python variable results = cur.fetchall() # Display results print results # Close the the cursor cur.close() # Close the connection conn.close()
Edit: For using Oracle instead of MySQL I found this post useful